Thank you to Tomi from The Narrow Bamboo Gate for nominating me for the Sunshine Blogger Award. I can’t believe that the same person whose heart was once so small and whose face was so tear-stained (me) would be found deserving of such a happy award by someone. Tomi has a wonderful testimony of being converted to Christianity in her 20’s and her childhood in Japan is inspiring!
Here are the rules of the Sunshine Award which I intend to follow:
- Thank the person that nominated you.
- Answer the questions from your nominator.
- Nominate bloggers whose work inspires you.
- Give them the ten questions to answer.
- Post the Award’s rules.
Here are my answers to questions from questions provided by Tomi:
- Where is your favorite destination for vacationing? The Upper Peninsula of Michigan known to Michigander’s as “da UP.” (And by the way, we locals can become a bit insulted if you think the UP is part of Wisconsin.)
- How many countries have you traveled to? Two. The Canada and Japan. Canada is so close most adults in Michigan have been there once. I’ve flown to Japan 18 times and lived there twice.
- What is the strangest food you have eaten (or drank)? Nothing is strange to me anymore so I can’t really answer this question as intended, but when I went to Japan in 1980 no one in Michigan talked about seaweed, sushi and other now common Japanese delicacies. Back then sashimi (raw fish) was strange!
- What is your favorite movie? Escanaba in da Moonlight. It’s a comedy loosely based on deer camp life in da UP. I love deer camp…lots of debauchery!
- Why did you start blogging? To organize my thoughts and to better explain the complex content in my book “The Six-Foot Bonsai.”
- How many languages do you speak (or understand)? Two. English and Japanese (Sado dialect!). I used to be an interpreter for the automotive industry.
- What is your most “sunshine”-filled day in your life? A little fishing, a daytime campfire because it’s a cool fall day and a game of cornhole that I of course win!
- Who has inspired you the most? Besides Jesus…my dad. He inspired me to work hard. He is a simple man who did a lot when he was spry…right up until last year when his Alzheimer’s took control of his mind causing him to give up playing in his workshop.
- What is your goal in life? To live like a real philosopher. I want a robe and staff to complete the look. No beard though…oh God no beard!
- Which season is your favorite (both/either the four seasons and/or the seasons of life)? Fall. I like cool air and color. It is perfect. Winter is a close second. I don’t need the other seasons.
Bloggers Who Inspire Me
There are many of you reading this that are a ray of sunshine in my blog life and beyond. I admire those who have tons of followers, those who are completely themselves at every moment and could care less about followers and everyone in between. I just recently received another award that I passed on to 15 others (a hard choice!), so this time I’ll select a few of my newer finds!
Today, I’m nominating the following sites for “The Sunshine Blogger’s Award.” I know some may be “Award Free” (I may go award free soon as well) and that’s fine, but at least I hope you will consider answering my questions below just for fun!
The Scottish Minimalist: I like a realistic minimalist– one that isn’t quite a purist but is thinking through their decisions. That’s this guy.
Misty Meadows Adventures: Homesteading! There are lots of tips on this site and links to a nice little Etsy shop of soaps, balms and a cute little gardening journal I’m eyeing.
Born Again 732: Like you (or maybe not…) I follow quite a few Christian bloggers. This one sticks to The Word and I find that appealing.
Seasons a Poetic Journey: There are lovely poems inter spliced with cute cat stories and such. Eclectic and stylish.
Traveling Matters: Join Mel & Suan on their adventures! Twice the fun!
Many Blank Pages: This blog is fresh and never pretentious. There is a view of the world I only get from this guy!
Travels with My Camera Blog: Mari has been a great supporter of my Japanese culture content from nearly the beginning. Her travel site covers the world!
Nominees (and anyone who cares to answer in the comment section!) here are my 10 questions. I hope they aren’t too much trouble! Elaborate please!
1. Cat, dog or other?
2. Would you prefer a bigger than average house or a smaller than average house?
3. City or country?
4. If you could have been born 50 years earlier would you trade and go back?
5. What do you consider your best feature?
6. Do you hold any grudges at this moment?
7. What has been the happiest moment of your life thus far?
8. If you must work, what is your dream job?
9. Do you have a particular recurring nightmare?
10. What is your best advice for someone under 20?
Whew! I hope these questions if nothing else inspire you to write something new! Thank you for reading!